Culture Promotion Tax in Cologne
Information regarding exemption from the culture promotion tax at hotels in CologneBOOK WITH 10% DISCOUNT NOW >
Since 1 October 2010, accommodation in Cologne has been subject to a culture promotion tax, also known as an accommodation or city tax. The tax amounts to five percent of the room price for accommodation in hotels, guest houses, youth hostels, privately rented accommodation and at camp sites.
Accommodation that is strictly necessary for business reasons is exempt from the tax. We therefore ask that guests staying at the hotel for business reasons submit a completed culture promotion tax exemption form when they check in at the hotel: Culture promotion tax exemption form. Once we have received the form, we will be able to deduct the five percent from your hotel bill.
Who has to pay the tax?
According to the ordinance: The hotel guest is liable for the tax. The operator of the accommodation is responsible for collecting the tax. That means if a guest does not provide a statement, in the required form, confirming that their trip is strictly necessary for business reasons, the operator is obliged to charge them the culture promotion tax and provide a tax notice and payment to Cologne’s municipal authorities.
If the party responsible for collecting the tax (the hotelier) does not collect and pay the culture promotion tax, and provide sufficient documentation, both they and the party that is liable for the tax (the guest) are subject to prosecution (source: Cologne municipal authorities, frequently asked questions regarding the culture promotion tax).
Accommodation taxes of this kind are common in the international hotel industry and are levied in cities including Amsterdam, Florence, Venice, Paris and Rome. The five percent culture promotion tax must be paid to the respective municipal authority and has been introduced in a number of cities. For further information please visit www.citytaxgermany.com.
- 205 air-condtioned rooms, Superior rooms, non-smoking rooms, allergy-friendly rooms, wheelchair-friendly rooms
- Standard Rooms (approx. 22sqm) include free WiFi, telephone, flatscreen TV, Pay-TV, video-on-demand, minibar
- Superior Rooms additionally feature free WiFi, complimentary mini bar and snack items, free Pay-TV, TASSIMO hot beverage system, welcome drink at hotel bar
- 12 air-conditioned Conference Rooms, with natural daylight for up to 250 delegates
- Meeting Lounge & Conference Patio
- Public Internet Workstation & Printer
- Bar & Outdoor Terrace
- Fitness and Wellness area with steam bath, sauna* and city views
- Indoor & outdoor parking spaces*, 2 coach parking spaces
- Multilingual Staff
- 24h Reception Service
- Laundry Service*
- Room Service*
SURROUNDINGS & DISTANCES
- Tram Stop Universitätsstraße 300 m
- City Center 1 km
- Motorway A57 1.5 km
- Cologne Cathedral 2.8 km
- Cologne Central Station 2.9 km
- Musical Dome 3 km
- Lanxess Arena 4.1 km
- Cologne Trade Fair 4.8 km
- Cologne Airport CGN 17.5 km
* Additional fees may apply